RSS

Beyonce heats up the shelves with Heat!


I don’t think I have shared this with you guys yet, but I absolutely adore Beyonce! I know you are thinking “of course you do, who doesn’t?” But, I have been a loyal fan since her “No, No, No” days with Destiny’s Child. This week in class we have been discussion Artist and Product Management and the link between the two. Last year Beyonce came out with her first fragrance called “Heat” (and by the way I am already on bottle number 3). According to the NY Daily News, this product had $3 million dollars in sales during its first month on the shelves. On the very first day of its launch Beyonce visited a Macy’s to promote Heat and promoted the sell of 72,000 bottles.

Beyonce is definitely a super-celebrity, so this already gives her the upper-hand in being able to produce a high volume of sales, but I also think the success of her marketing and advertising strategies helped in this as well. Heat is only sold at Macy’s. This provides exclusivity for Macy’s and gives them the opportunity to brand themselves with this opportunity, as well as provide additional marketing and advertising avenues for the new fragrance. This marketing strategy also shows loyalty through Beyonce’s brand name. It shows that she is not out just to make millions upon millions of dollars, but to also build partnerships and trust through both her buyers and her fans.

Many celebrities have launched perfumes in the past, but no one has seen fragrance numbers like Beyonce’s Heat has. According to figures from research firm NPD group, in 2008, the average celebrity fragrance generated only $2.5 million in the first year. As I stated earlier, Heat generated over $3 million in just the first month!

I will be adding to this number in the next week because as I look over at my vanity table my Heat bottle is almost empty. I will soon be out to purchase bottle number three! If you haven’t had the opportunity to smell it go out to Macy’s and take a whiff. It’s mixture of floral and vanilla is to die for.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment